Intermediate ESL Escape Room is designed for teachers of Intermediate English Language who want to liven up their classes with fun, engaging and competitive puzzle solving. It contains 100 puzzles which include a large variety of vocabulary and grammar points that are key to intermediate English so regardless of which curriculum you’re following, you’ll find puzzles in this pack that are relevant to your class.
Intermediate students need stimulation and excitement so that they enjoy coming to classes and can get easily engaged. A boring class leads to bored students who inevitably become irritated and easily distracted. ESL Escape Room is the perfect way to review the material that you have been studying in a way that gets the students out of their chairs, working as a team, and using their heads.
Five minutes before the class, all you need to do is flick through the contents page, print out a few puzzles (five or six will last about 45mins) that are relevant to what the students have been studying and take note of the single digit answer code to each puzzle. Put those numbers in a row and you have a secret code that students need to work out by solving each puzzle before the other teams to win the game . So, with minimal prep time, you are all set for an exciting review class that the students will want to play again and again. And with 100 puzzles to combine as you see fit, there are endless personalised Escape Rooms to be played.
I use Escape Room at the end of each unit of the book, as a review and as a reward for good behaviour.
Each session can:
- Be tailor-made to match what you’ve been teaching by choosing the appropriate puzzles
- Last anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour depending on how many puzzles you choose to use
- Be played individually, in pairs or in bigger teams and can have any amount of players
- Be played with students sat at their desks using the puzzles like work sheets or more dynamically with the puzzles stuck up on the walls around the classroom and students running around with paper and clipboards (the latter is obviously a lot more fun and my version of choice)
- Be made completely different to the previous with different puzzle styles and topics
- Be finished with some sort of reward so that the students get into the competitive spirit
Hit the link if you are ready to give it a go. I promise you will not regret it!